The End of an Era; RIP Toys R Us


Toys R Us Good bye

 

Today was the end of an era. This blogger saw a good chunk of her life just go away.  I was about nine the first time I went into a Toys R Us store. It was in California, where I spent a good deal of my childhood.  Those days, toys were displayed floor to ceiling.  Above the shelves were displays of toys and dolls in their original boxes.  In those days, dolls by Mattel and others were not blister packed; they were sold I cardboard boxes covered with graphics of the dolls.

 

My late mother and I loved the sales; we always came out with lots of things for my baby cousins, and for our own collection.   One year, we found them all kinds of Disney Princesses.  They were so happy when they got them that they declared they wanted to grow up “just like Ellen!”

 

Today was the last day.  I went to our two local stores, located in two states.  What was left of the stock was gathered at the front of the store. Behind were cordoned off areas that looked like a toy wasteland.  I managed to find a lot of Star Wars toys, and several Dragons.   Marvel Comics Fashion dolls by Madame Alexander were there, as were a couple Angry Birds blister packs.  I tried very hard to buy toys that were Toys R Us exclusives, including one that was featured on the TV show The Toy Box.

 

Earlier, I bought several of the You and Me dolls, a Toys R Us brand.  There were no signs of Geoffrey the Giraffe, once the proud mascot of the store.  There were good deals on Pop Ups and Elena Aviator, so I filled in my collection of these.  I also picked up play sets for Coco and WWF female fashion dolls. I found clothes for Ken and other dolls and several sticker sets and books of different licensed characters.  There were great Megazors and large Star Wars characters and plush animal puppets.   I didn’t see an FAO Schwarz toys.  There are a few of these on sale at Younkers, a Bon Ton store also going out of business.

 

With the death of Pawn Stars’ Old Man this past week, the collecting and doll world has lost two cultural icons.  Party City is allegedly picking up toys as part of its line, and there are the rumors of Kaybee’s return, but it won’t be the same. I asked one of the employees what happened to MGMs offer to buy Toys R Us, and I was told that the offer involved a Go Fund Me account that did not meet its reserve.  More’s the pity.  Everything changes, but this year has been filled with death and loss, and there is little light at the end of the tunnel on some days.

 

I don’t know about everyone else, but as for me, I don’t want to grow up; I’m still a Toys R Us kid.



A View of the Empty Store

Some of my treasures, including a 5" tall Inflatable Plush Bear

Marvel Comics Doll by Madame Alexader

Comments

Popular Posts