Inspirational Fashion on a Dime


Bargain Blitz Blog Fashion Ideas

 

I’m posting some snippets of my magazine pics, and some ideas for inspiration I get about fab dressing on a dime.


Public Domain


 

These may be photos from last year or the more distant past, but I still get inspiration from them.

 

In a documentary on her life, Iris Apfel talked about getting inspiration from everything she saw sometimes.  One of her admirers said he got an idea for a fabric design by looking out from an airplane window at the green landscape below.

 

I also get ideas from studying dolls and textiles. Old costume books like What People Wore give me ideas for jewelry, too. 


via Amazon


 

I love getting ideas form Godey’s Ladies Book and other Victorian magazines and books.  Jet jewelry, cameos, chatelaines, lace on everything, fancy buttons and hats are timeless, ad the looks repeat themselves. I adore  Leg O’ Mutton sleeves and its great to see dresses on antique dolls that make me want to copy their trim, or brooches, or feather accents.


Primitive black doll with great lace ad linen textiles

Collectible buttons


 

Other things that attract me that I can find at bargain prices are 70s, 80s novelty sweaters, holiday jewelry, silk scarves, old ties, quilt blocks, vintage patterns, button jars, and vintage boots.

 

I check out thrift stores, but get most things at outlets and sales.  Even more high end stores like Von Maur will put things like Michael Kors sportswear at 90% off.




Favorite Shoes and Leggings detail

Close up of Favorite Outfit


So, enjoy the images, and think about what you love, a color, an accessory, a favorite era, and plan away those cool outfits!

Comments

Popular Posts