Tips on Frugality and Fashion

I watched a PBS show today, something like Arts 21, featuring fashion designers from all over the world.   One, Reet Aus [?sp] used scraps of garbage  material to make gorgeous clothes.  Another designer used scrap plastic pulled from the seas in fishermen's nets.  Still others recycled vintage materials of all types from all cultures to make terrific clothes. My own muse, Iris Apfel, was featured with her awesome outfits and jewelry, and was recorded once again saying that she dressed to please herself.  She has been collecting since age 11, and became a cover girl at 97.
Public Domain

It got me thinking.  Quilters know all about using scraps to create beautiful things.  Textile artists and doll dress makers know it, too.  Scraps of lace and silk from my mother's wedding gown dressed many dolls, as did my grandmother's French silk dress.  Even the last scraps and threads went into clear plastic balls to make ornaments and delicate hankies for the women in my family.

As one of the designers put it, "I throw nothing away."  I try not to.  I give things to charity, and recycle all I can, and upcycle and re-purpose many things.  That's what art is all about, and that's what collecting is all about.

Speaking of collecting, I'm moving into our new museum.  My days are long, hard, and grueling, but a long dormant dream is coming true.  In packing the dolls and collectibles for transport, I've gotten very creative, and I'm sharing those tips for you, especially those packing for college or moving to new homes.

First, I've saved boxes of all types, especially sturdy packing boxes.  Boxes for paper and amazon boxes are terrific.

Next, I took out my suitcases on wheels.  I pack, go to the new building, unpack, and repeat.  I use the same packing materials, including plastic bed sheets with cotton liners, and yes, diapers that were used by the original doll dealers to pack the dolls in the first place. 

I used extra paper napkins and paper towels for small objects; ditto tissues like Kleenex.  I've also saved bubble wrap from online purchases for some time.

I use cloth dolls and small stuffed animals with wrapped porcelain and china objects.  For the larger antique and porcelain dolls, I used my holiday shirts and sweaters.  They wrap the dolls well and cushion them.  I will unpack the dolls immediately at the new museum, and can reuse my sweaters and tops again.  Afterwards, I will wash them and get them ready to wear for the holidays.  T-shirts work great for this kind of packing, as do towels if  you are moving or have to send things great distances.

Fashion sales:  most swimwear is on sale drastically reduced.  75 percent off sales are popping up everywhere like sunflowers.  Dillard's has many 65 percent off sales.  They even have Betsey Johnson jewelry at that price.  Sandals are a great buy, and fall clothes are appearing on the rack for your perusal.  Buy the one thing you can't live without, then wait for end of season sales.

Check out back to school bargains at the big box stores, but don't forget the dollar stores for real deals.  Halloween has also made its appearance at Dollar Tree; there are some awesome deals, especially the cool little velvet pumpkins and felt, jumping jack style doro decorations of Halloween characters.

New catalogs are also showing up.  Enjoy them while sipping your pumpkin spice coffee, and don't forget to clip those coupons.

Comments

Popular Posts