Reminiscing on Fashion Faves

 

In the midst of moving from one doll and toy museum to another, I realized my blogging has suffered.  I thought it would be fun to reminisce about iconic fashions I enjoyed wearing during different times of my life.  What were your favorite outfits and why?  I’d love to hear from you.

 

Fall 2020

Plaids and Teal for 2020

Toddler years:  my mother liked matching outfits that wore and washed well.  Can’t same I blamed her.  She knitted a lot of sweaters and hats for me, many with antique or unusual buttons like a pastel with little angel heads fro buttons.  She usually knitted matching outfits for my dolls, too.  One year for Christmas, she created an entire wardrobe of hand knit doll sweaters in different sizes.  I also had a pair of Lederhosen, or leather shorts with an overall style harness.  It was a gift someone had brought from Germany.  Favorite shoes were sandals, or T-strap leather shoes or Mary Janes.

 

I had a red smock dress with a monkey appliquéd on it that I loved, and another dress with a kitten appliquéd on the front.  My mom kept making it longer.  We kept it, and I will put it on a large doll as I used to do with my baby dresses.

 

Aug. 2020 at Dillard's

School years Kindergarten through grade six:  My signature outfits were the hand made Halloween outfits my mom created, sometimes with my grandma’s help.  She would send the unfinished outfit to California and my grandma would finish the details.  I had a great Raggedy Ann outfit, with an awesome mask that tops anything around today.  But for the mask, Mom made it.  She used the sleeves a stripped turtle neck for Ann’s stockings.

 

I was a pioneer girl, a witch, that later became a vampire outfit, a gypsy, a peasant, just great.  My mother sewed most of our clothes, including a white lined cape for me that was professional.  She looked for old fashioned patterns, some with dolls or little girls on them, and these, along with the simple velvet dresses she made, were my favorites.  I was thin in high school, and she often added to the velvet dresses to make maxi dresses for special occasions.  In fifth grade, my parents bought me a plaid coat in gold, rust, and brown from Marshall Fields that I really loved.  I had a red pleather coat, bright red, for spring, that I adored.  In California, Aunt Connie let me wear her leopard print coat in cool weather, and I my life long passion with animal prints began.  My Aunt Rosie bought me great outfits, including a red velvet dress with a white lace front and a cameo pin.  It was my all time favorite for any occasion.

 

My mother, her Dad, mom, and aunts and
uncles with fashions of the early fifites

In junior high, I had inherited wonderful corduroy bell bottoms and print shirts from my Uncle George.  One was a Zodiac print, another had Adam and Eve.  Others had Mickey Mouse, check patterns, velour outfits and more.  I also inherited an embroidered parka from Alaska, and several belts.  My favorite was a fringed, tan suede vest I wore with everything.  I had a head band that looked like my own braided hair, also from Marshall Fields.    For school dances, I had black velvet jeans that took me through high school, and pink sparkly faux sweater set.  From age 13-18, I had the best sweaters ever.  I also discovered The Limited, which gave me awesome ideas for clothes.  Sweater included a yellow ¾ length with the seven dwarves appliquéd on it, a purple sweater with international dolls embroidered in a circle with “One World” embroidered in the middle, a blue knit with a kite appliquéd on it, a red sparkly sweater, and a green sparkly sweater.  

 

Aunt Connie gave me many of her old dresses and shoes, as well as tops and outfits which were amazing.  She loved good clothes and had a large wardrobe, so I was always a happy camper.    She also gave me lots of vintage costume jewelry which intrigued me and started another collection.

 

Beach hat I designed with shells, jewels, and
mermaids

By college, I loved lacy black stockings, knee highs and anklets with different themes, tweed and velvet blazers, and Gunne Saks dresses and blouses, the frillier the better.  I had old fashioned taffeta, striped blouses with leg o mutton sleeves, Victorian jewelry, and many skirts.  Shawls and scarves were in, and I had a huge collection, including hand knitted shawls my mother created, and vintage scarves my family brought from around the world,  I wore silk ties with wool suits from Marshall Fields, and boots from The wild Pair.

 

I had a white sweater with red roses printed on it, that had a diagonal, Asian style clasp with frogs that I wore everywhere, as well as a lavender plaid skirt and a lavender sweater with a lace collar.  A few printed peasant dresses from The Limited were my favorite dress up outfits.  By then, I had discovered W, a weekly fashion newspaper gifted to me as a subscription by my friends Karla and Karen.  I got tons of ideas for handbags and accessories, and I loved the pictures and stories.   

 

Favorite leggings and
embellished flip flops.  Leggings are Lula Roe.  Shoes, Target.

Age 10, long hair and yellow pique dress my mom 
made.

Academic Regalia, mine on right is for law.

Knitted dress mom did to
go with a sweater she made for me.

One of my pins.

By the late 80s, I loved knickers, fancy ties and bow ties with jackets, but also jeans of all kinds, especially acid washed and purple dyed varieties I found in Iowa City.  Hand knit sweaters of all kinds for all weather, especially from United Colors of Benetton rounded out my wardrobe.  I also had my mom’s black silk sleeveless dress with blue roses, and more skirts she made for me out of all kinds of novelty fabrics.  I still wear these.  Some were heavy black Chinese silk, others calico with Native American patterns.  Great with a plain top and jacket, even a denim jacket worked wonders.  I had shoes in every color, especially Capezio ballet flats, and camisoles from Victoria’s Secret.  I wore ivory lace shoes and an ivory lace Gunne Sax dress I found in California, and more printed dresses from Cali boutiques.  I could also wear heels, and had high heeled shoes from Spain, vintage black heels from Aunt Connie, SAS sandals from my mom, moccasins, sandals, platform shoes, and burgundy high heels from Macy’s.  Metallic flats were my favorites, as well as penny loafers and saddle shoes.

 

In graduate school, I had a favorite taffeta ruffed skirt in black with matching sweater sets, embroidered in dark blue and sequins.  Famous Barr was my go to store, as well as our local Seven Dollar Store, where sweaters went on sale for $1.75.  I discovered Laura Ashley everything, and wore the iconic dresses and sweaters all the time.  I had turquoise suede boots with black decorations, L.L. Bean black riding boots, and cowboy boots as well as Esprit half boots, my own home made collage jewelry and barrettes, fancy socks, and tights in different colors.  The rage was to wear shorts, even men’s printed boxers, with tights and blazers.  I loved the look.  Vests were also popular, and I had them in every print, material, and design.  I appliquéd one with felt cherubs for Christmas.

 

Very ugly antique doll with bonnet.

Dress lavender print with lace by mom, 1970. Dolls
are Shirley Temple's. 

Wedding photo, embroidered dress with
lace jacket.  Pink details.  Husband's suit by Von Maur.

Denim dress, vintage Italian silk scarf.

Anne Boleyn earrings,
Western Congress, 2015.

In fact, I loved Holiday attire and still do.  I never thought Christmas sweaters were ugly,  and have dresses and leggings, socks, and jewelry as well.  My favorites are my Halloween sweaters, one that will glow in the dark, another resplendent with a Halloween trick or treat scene.  These holiday sweaters, which I have for Valentine’s Day, Easter, and St. Patrick’s Day as well, seem to have gone out of fashion. 

 

Irish Knit sweaters, Pendleton plaids, vintage plaid skirts and sweaters of my mothers, and theme T-shirts, some I brought from Europe and later, Hard Rock Café,  are among my iconic items and favorites.  I inherited my mother’s clothes, and a black lamb faux fur from my grandmother that I love.    I have a few Chico’s and Talbot’s pieces, and many fund out fits I’ve found on trips.  I made original outfits from pleather black dresses that I decoupaged pictures on, and a gallery in Carbondale wanted to display them.

 

I have a large wardrobe to choose from still, and a lot of jewelry.  I still love shoes, and my Frye distressed black motorcycle boots are my favorites.  I have burgundy velvet ballet flats and velvet dresses still and I still love Laura Ashley and vintage Gunne Sax.

 

As I get older, I often opt for my mother’s choice of skirt and blouse with blazer or cardigan.  Classic styles always serve me well.  I also have some nice mix and match separates that make good pant suits when I need them.  I have a couple scarves by Alexander McQueen and Hermes, and my Victorian scrap printed scarf from Echo.  With a little subtlety, I’ve worked a lot of my holiday attire into everyday outfits I can enjoy all year.

 

I wear what I love, and what makes me feel good.  Barrettes and brooches are still important; my pins are inspired by Madeleine Albright’s.   In fact, I sent her one of my hand made pins, and she wrote me a lovely thank you letter.

 

Fashion and style are as original as you are.  This fall’s styles seem to be a lot of browns and florals, but a few dashes of hot pink and neon yellow appear, sometimes combined with more subdued shades in sweaters.  Burberry inspired plaid is still hot, and slip on sneakers in black quilted material are popular. 

 

I’d love to hear what your fashion favorites are, and if you send me photos, I will post and credit them.  Happy bargain shopping!

 

Comments

Popular Posts