Archives and Bargain Tips

 I always hate it when Christmas goes, but I do enjoy after Christmas sales and sidewalk sales.   My mom, Aunt Connie, and my uncles had the best times in California, when all the stores had 50 to 75 percent off Christmas items. At home, we headed to Chicago land to Marshall Fields and Nieman Marcus, even Sak's, for the unusual ornaments and wrapping paper.

Younkers had great sales on sweaters and clothes, and Von Maur also had great deals on Pendleton and other name brands.

This year and last, there were not as many sales.  In fact, in recent years, many retailers were either not really open, out of business, or low on Christmas.  This year, many things were not delivered because of the Supply Chain Crisis.  Still, I managed to find some things.

1966. 
My mom made the flannel nightgown. My grandma sewed the Santa
and red pillow on the left.  Our tree was loaded with handmade ornaments,
including Gingerbread men I did in kindergarten, and bells made from ice cream cones.
Making these things did save money, but also made Christmas more meaningful.  The other dolls shown and the ornaments are still part of my Museum collections. We still have our house, too, which was my grandparents' first.  I lived there since age one and one half.  

My Uncle Tom
who was an artist brought me dolls each week from Peoria.  He worked at a
studio there.  He did this sketch, and I colored it.

Close up of one of my vintage Xmas sweaters, bought on sale at Dillard's.  The handwork is amazing.  
Nothing ugly about this.  I also wear it for Valentine's Day, and into spring.  It is cotton, 3/4 sleeves.
Now is the time to look for bargains on sweaters like this.  One year, I bought a whole group for $1 each!  Everyone got a fun sweater the next Christmas.  I like to go out after Christmas and buy the gifts for next year.  My mom and I would sort and organize them while we drank coffee and reminisced.  Those were great times.


I found good deals at the grocery store, and also found gifts.  Some chains include toys and clothing as special promotions.  I always shop for store brands, and buy baking ingredients at Aldi and other discount groceries.  In San Jose, I really liked Grocery Outlet on Foxworthy Avenue.

Afterwards, at our local store, I found lots of goodies for .25 each to give as favors at the Museum holiday party.  Dollar Tree had half off, so I found lots of goodies there, though the regular prices have gone up to 1.25 now.

Dillard's had Xmas 75% off.  A tip; to figure the price, take half off the original price, and then another half off.  So, if it's 1.00, divide in to for .50, then divide into again to get .25, the 75% off price.   Some thrift stores do even better and will give away Christmas merchandise after the holiday.

Many stores that used to have 90% off Christmas by now are still at 50%, or put away their holiday merchandise.  Kohl's and Target are in this category, and apparently the Pandemic has taken its toll on them.  

Hobby Lobby locally did not have much left, but it was 90% off, and there was still some fall merchandise.   I bought all the Robert Stanley dinged elves.  I confess they are cute, and I hate to think of them ending up in a dumpster because they are dinged.  I fix them up as gifts and museum decor.  

In a month, I know Family Dollar will gave great sales on shoes and clothes, as will TJ MAXX, and Marshall's.  Tuesday Morning has s few deals going on, too.

I did find things at Dillard's, and may go back to look some more.  By now, they used to have all Christmas .99 or 1.99; great on hand blown ornaments that were 20.00 or more.  Not the case, now.
These ornaments were great office gifts or gift exchange items for the next year.

Don't overlook your favorite thrift shops.  I found a Polo cotton sweater today at Goodwill for 3.88, and a black and white striped designer cardigan for less than 3.47.   At Ross Dress for Less, I found cute T-shirts for under 6 and 7 dollars, some with great details, velvet slacks for 6.00 and a Tommy Hilfiger velour dress, originally 94.50, marked down to 19.00.  It will be great with Lula Roe leggings.

I'd love some more comments on bargains this season.  Feel free to post.  Also, on my blog Dr. E's Greening Tips for the Common Person are more ideas for saving money on gifts, weddings and cooking, as well as tips for living green.

Happy New Year 2022!!

Comments

Popular Posts